Saturday, July 9, 2011

Using an iPod Touch in the Classroom

For my inaugural post, I wanted to outline a project that I am working on for the summer for use this year in my classroom.  I am taking a look at using the iPod Touch in the classroom.  Now, I know what you are saying. This may not sound too original.  Then again, to some this may sound pretty cool. I think this media device has a lot of potential in the classroom. 

Apple products have a very unique, kinesthetic method of operation.  This proves interesting because the kinesthetic method for operation for iPods and iPads is fairly intuitive to children. It's us old fogeys who have a harder time connecting with the devices, but I digress.  Due to this quality, iPods are highly desirable and engaging amongst students.  As a matter of fact, many of my students over the years have owned their own and were adept at using them for a plethora of pursuits.

It is with the iPod Touch that I am going to experiment incorporating some free time activities and projects in my math classes as well as finding some activities for my fellow teammates on the fourth grade team.

A great way to find uses for an iPod is to take a look at the App Store in iTunes.  This is a catalog of various applications (apps) that you can use on an iPod.  Some cost money while some are free.

As a matter of fact, just today I came across a free app called Flashcardlet.  This is a flashcard generation and review app.  Based on my initial investigation, it seems to be a neat way to create and review your own flashcard creations. 

You can also download previously made and share flashcard collections from Quizlet.com. The beauty of this is that you can create your own sets of flashcards on Quizlet and then download them onto multiple iPods in your classroom.  You can even add pictures!  Imagine having students who actually want to look at and practice multiplication or states and capitals flashcards.  Cool, right?  You can also create groups and allow students to make their own flashcards.  Then, share them either on the iPod app or online at Quizlet.

Check out this quick introduction to Quizlet recorded by a teacher in California. 



I will investigate further into how the site and app integrate and get back with a product review soon.  In the meantime, check out the App Store and if you have any neat ideas for Flashcardlet or other flashcard apps for the iPod, feel free to post a comment and share them.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment